Knitting Experiment: Woodland Hoodlet For A Doll

I recently purchased a pattern I've had my eye on for at least two years, Tiny Owl Knits Woodland Hoodlet.  It looks a lot more complicated and time consuming than it turns out to be.  Thanks to a very well written pattern, I've already whipped through 2/3 of an adult version (which I can't preview since it's an Xmas surprise for someone!).

I also decided to try it in a smaller scale.  I went with size 4 US needles, and am using a super fine weight yarn held double, Loops and Threads Woolike Simili-Laine in Tan (which really looks more like dark cream to me).  It's a tight spun yarn, and additionally is acrylic and nylon, so there's no drape here like in the adult version that uses super bulky yarn on size 15 US needles.  However, the cables and bobbles really stand out as a result, and on a doll I think this tighter fabric will work well.  The yarn is also very soft to the touch, and has a squish factor I really like working with.  

For this pattern you do need to be at least an intrepid beginner so all the cables, bobbles and a provisional cast on don't make you run screaming for the hills.  But if you know how to cable, can do a provisional cast on (whatever is your favorite method), and can make a bobble, you will find this flies off the needles.  If I sat down and dedicated my time to this, I could easily make one of these in a knit-filled weekend.

The only adjustment I made to the pattern, both the adult size and this doll size, is how I made the bobble.  Instead of slipping the four stitches from the right needle to the left, I instead turned my work, purled those four stitches, and continued on.  It's a methodology difference, and my way just turned out a better bobble for me.  :)  

Otherwise, take the pattern one row at a time, make sure you use a Post It or something similar to keep you focused on the correct row, and make a note of the row you stopped at whenever you walk away (especially if you have cats, and/or have fans going in summertime heat, that may move that Post It note!).  

This pattern is well worth the roughly $6 price tag.  (And the HopsALot slippers are pretty awesome, too, as I know from making a pair of those previously.)

After I finish this doll size, which should fit a 1/3 BJD (roughly 20-23 inches tall) perfectly, I am going to go down a couple needle sizes, work with just one strand of this yarn, and see if I can get a 16 inch fashion doll, and/or 10-12" doll like Tonner's Patsy (or my Bambicrony Lottie BJD) sized hoodlet.  I am also hoping to get a 12" fashion doll sized, as well, but I may just be talking crazy.  Or more likely will be crazy by the time I finish that size...  :D

 Starting out...  You can see the provisional cast on at the start.

Starting out...  You can see the provisional cast on at the start.

 Good progress. Front has been completed, and I've just started the back.  The most complicated part with all the cables and bobbles is already done, so the rest should be really quick!

Good progress. Front has been completed, and I've just started the back.  The most complicated part with all the cables and bobbles is already done, so the rest should be really quick!