I had a pretty blue and white print cotton fabric that was just calling out to become a summery dress for one of my dolls. My Essential Amber graciously and patiently helped me draft a pattern, and sat through a few hours of fittings until it was just right.
Amber didn't realize she doesn't get to keep this dress, as it is now listed on eBay. I'm sure she wants to tell me what she thinks about that, but is remaining silent in hopes of getting a new dress of her own soon. :D
The auction listing is here:
The dress also turned out to fit well on Tonner's new Judy doll with the starlet body. I was surprised by this, only because I expected the hips on Amber to be narrower than the hips on the starlet body. But both fit along the bustline well, and draped on the hips the right way.
I had to keep adding snaps to the front bodice to prevent "wardrobe malfunctions", but in the end it just enhanced the fit. I also gathered up the shoulder straps to enhance the bodice, especially the low scooping back.
I have to admit I'm proud of this dress, mostly because I did it without any pattern at all. It also didn't take as long as I thought it would, so somewhere along the line I've started to get a better feel at doll dressmaking. I will definitely be custom making more dresses for my various dolls in the near future!
Just don't tell the "models" that they probably won't get to keep their dresses, either... :D
This little dress did sell on eBay, happily for more than my starting price. I was asked about a pattern for it by the seller, and have heard interest expressed elsewhere for one.
This is a dress I definitely want to make again, so next time I will make sure to write myself notes and take photos along the way. I may not be able to make a draftable/sellable pattern because of the amount of tailoring on the doll I employ, but I can at least share my steps in the process (plus record them for my own records!).